Friday, June 15, 2012

Went Out of my Way to See a Great Film

I’ve come to the realization that I thoroughly enjoy movies with quick, witty and monotone lines. 
I went to see Moonrise Kingdom yesterday.  It was amazing.  No surprise of course since Wes Anderson rocks in the movie making field.  His movies just take you to another parallel universe.  It’s not so different from the way we live, but there are just not people like the ones he has in his movies.  At least not so concentrated in one geographical location.  But they’re wonderful.  All his quirky, intelligent, impeccably dressed characters.
Khaki Scout Sam was, by far, the best part of the movie.  When he so nonchalantly expels his outdoor knowledge to his lady love, I was dying in my seat.  Even with what life has handed out to him in his short time on Earth, he seems so comfortable in his skin.  His life is so uncertain, yet when he speaks, there is no uncertainty in his tone.  So many geeks in movies are so apologetic in their manner, but not Sam.  Instead of being the kid you feel sorry for and want to protect, you kind of leave wishing you had a Sam in your life growing up.  Or even now.  It’s no wonder he ends up where he does at the end. 
So even though I had to drive an hour away, PAY for a ticket (my sister works at a theater, and I normally cringe at the idea of having to pay for a ticket), and spilled coffee all over the inside of my purse when I was trying to sneak it in the theater, it was all worth it.  Moonrise Kingdom left me wanting more.  I hope Wes Anderson continues making movies for a hundred years.  And that we develop the technology to allow that to happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment